[Avodah] If You Are Choshesh for GeBrochts You MUST be Choshesh that Youir Matza is Chamets

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 30 10:08:51 PDT 2017

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:17:11PM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: The problem is
: once the Gebrochts-nicks express a Chashash
: that the central part of the Matza
: is not fully baked
: then never mind the problem of flour
: which will BECOME Chamets
: when it gets wet

Again, if gebrochts were about the middle not being baked, it would be
worries about chameitz whether or not the matzah later gets in contact
with water.

It's about flour that didn't become kneaded. As the SA haRav states,
the Besht ate gebrochts because in his day the 1 mil timer was stopped
for kneading. We came up with this chumerah of trying to fit everything,
including the kneading in the time limit. Which caused us to start rushing
the kneading. (Yet, the Alter Rebbe of Lub lauded this new chumerah,
despite it coming with new risks.) And so he justified chassidim of his
generation following a new hanhagah that the Besht did not. (We discuss
this teshuvah annually.)

The question I asked is based on the fact that toasted flour doesn't
become chameitz. And by simple physics, we expect that if dough,
a huge lump, can bake through, then of course we would have completed
the toasting of the same chemicals present in fine powder form, like
any dry unkneaded flour within the dough.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Tifferes: When does harmony promote
Fax: (270) 514-1507                         withdrawal and submission?