[Avodah] Chol Moed Minyan for Those Who Wear Tefillen

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 30 10:30:12 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:03:15PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> BTW, if I had to guess, it would depend on whether people are
:> indeed motivated by a consciencous following of family customs
:> and the perspective on Torah that comes with their subculture.
:> And how much is simple ethnic pride and the actual identification
:> with Litvaks or Hungarians or Yekkes, Mughrabi or Halbi than
:> identification with the Jewish People, or shomerei Torah umitzvos
:> as self-identifications.

: That's an excellent analysis, until we ask which side of the aisle the
: MB and AhS were on.

: By insisting that the whole shul should do the same thing, aren't they
: putting the main emphasis on family customs, their own subculture,
: ethnic pride, and subgroup identification -- with LESS emphasis on
: identification with the Jewish People and shomerei Torah umitzvos? ...

I don't see how they are. If someone says there should be a single pesaq
for a location and the shul could be consistent is talking about unity.
Not about whether our community's minhagim are better or worse than those
of another community -- they aren't present to suggest we're comparing.

I was contrasting two different motives for breaking that unity:

The first archetype is the one who does so because he takes more
self-identity from his Litvisher (eg) ancestry than in being in part of
the observant community, or Jewish community in general.

The second is the one who is motivated by the logic of the pesaq or
the hashkafah payoff. Such as someone who is "into" qabbalah for whom
"qotzeitz bintiyos" means something and motivates not feeling happy in
tefillin on ch"m.

I was suggesting that lo sisgodedu only rules out the first motivation,
not the second.

But the acharon who promotes everyone following one practice isn't a
question of whether their motivation is more important than lo sisgodedu
to begin with.

micha at aishdas.org        2 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Tifferes: When does harmony promote
Fax: (270) 514-1507                         withdrawal and submission?