[Avodah] kitniyot

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 28 08:03:56 PDT 2017

On 28/04/17 02:22, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 03:02:19PM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> : The Chasam Sofer explains based on the Rambam (Mishneh Torah, Hilkhos
> : Kiddush Ha-Chodesh 3:12), that the reason for 2 days of Shavuos so as not
> : differentiate between holidays, since the other holidays had a second day
> : the Sages decreed a second day for Shavuos as well. The Chasam Sofer has a
> : fascinating chiddush about this. He understands this to mean that for most
> : holidays, the second day of Yom Tov was established based on a doubt. But
> : the second day of Shavuos was established as a certainty. Therefore, the
> : rules are even stricter than on the second day of other holidays.

> Lo zakhisi lehavin.
>
> All the other YT sheini are lezeikher an uncertaintain. They are a
> taqanah derabbanan, not the original uncertainty.
>
> Yes, let's say the taqanah was to continue acting AS THOUGH the
> uncertainty was there. So, we saved the idea off the other holidays
> being of the form of an uncertainty.
>
> But then Shavuos's 2nd day is lo pelug. Which means that it too was
> like the others, which would mean a taqanah to imitate being uncertain
> about the date.

I think what he means is that even in their days, when most YT Sheni
were safek d'oraisa, the 2nd day of Shavuos was a vadai d'rabanan
pretending to be a safek d'oraisa.   Nowadays that describes *all* YT
Sheni (except the 2nd day of RH, which is a vadai d'rabanan not
pretending to be anything else, because even in their days this was
occasionally the case).  So his explanation is merely historical, that
what we have is not a new situation, because they had it on Shavuos.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all