[Avodah] kitniyot

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 21 12:26:40 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 02:42:49PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: No, it's not the reason for the minhag in the first place; we know
: what that was, and it no longer applies. That's why they wrote to
: the Sanhedrin asking whether they should abandon it.   Hizharu means
: don't abandon it, keep it going anyway, and the reason for doing so
: is Zimnin degazru.

No, hizharu means "be careful", not "keep it going anyway".

This is NOT "kevar qiblu avoseikhem aleihem. Shene'emar 'Shemi beni
musar avikha, ve'al titosh toras imekha.'" (Pesachim 50b)

: >I am suggesting the problem being solved is peopole forgetting that
: >qiddush hachodesh should be al pi re'iyah, and that's why practices
: >from the era of al pi re'iyah were preserved.
:
: But there's no hint of this, and the letter explicitly says otherwise.

Again, only once you mistranslate what it means lehazhir.

This "explicitly" is not only far from explicit, it's not even there!

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?