[Avodah] order of the then seder

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 7 10:15:23 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 05:58:36PM +0100, Allan Engel wrote:
: Surely either we'd pasken like Hillel, and eat the full portion of Pesach,
: Matza and Maror in one sandwich, or else we wouldn't, and there'd be no
: Korech at all?

I assume everyone ate koreikh. It's most reasonable to assume that
a machloqes over an annual practice kept by everyone is theoretical,
not pragmatic. Not that one person is saying what a significant number
of people are doing is pasul / assur.

For similar reasons, I assume that until the rishonim, people considered
both Rashi and Rabbeinu Tam tefillin to be kosher. Otherwise, how were
both styles in existence and common use since the days of the Chashmonaim
until some 1,300 years later when rishonim started voicing preferences?

Note my use of the phrase, "I assume". Li mistaber, I have no strong
arguments for it.

Back to our topic...

I figure everyone ate the matzah, marror and lamb in a wrap. Otherwise,
how did Hillel come around and argue that what everyone was doing was
pasul? And why would it stay with Hillel, wouldn't he have the Sanhedrin
vote on it?

Rather, the machloqes was whether one was yotzei if they did the weird
thing and eat them separately. If this was a rare event, multiple
opinions could persist without resolutions.

Now when it came time to commemorate, rather than fulfill the mitzvah....

Matzah we have to eat separately from maror, because without the pesach,
there may be a problem with our fulfilling the mitzvah of eating matzah
without it being the only tast in the mouth.

And then there's the question of what are we commemorating -- eating
all three in one meal, and the wrap aspect was not a critical facet that
needs commemoration, or are we commemorating a wrap?

So, we do both.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
micha at aishdas.org        ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507