[Avodah] kitnoyot

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 6 08:49:01 PDT 2017

> Are you suggesting that the frozen non-gebroks pancakes that I can buy
> in the store today are a bigger problem than the matza meal pancakes
> that my mother made at home?

Matza meal pancakes, which I grew up with as well, are nothing at all
like regular pancakes.  The difference is clear and obvious. Ditto for
cakes.  We used to have sponge cake at Pesach.  And we thought of it as
a Pesach cake.  It wasn't something we had all year.

I don't have a problem with fake treyf.  So I don't really have a huge
problem with fake chametz.  But to pretend that there's no difference
between what we used to have in the 60s, 70s, etc, and today is just
silly.  The difference is enormous.  And while I don't have a huge
problem with fake chametz, I see another distinction between fake
chametz and fake treyf.  You can't ever eat bacon.  So making fake bacon
is reasonable.  But fake chametz?  Really?  We can't make it a week
without waffles and pizza and pretzels?

[Email #2. -micha]

On 4/6/2017 6:21 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> Actually, you and I agree on that too. I think that minhagim should be
> mimetically defined, by definition, and therefore it's only a very
> overwhelming sevara that says the minhag is damaging that should change
> a minhag.

WADR, while you're entitled, of course, to think this, the concept of
mimetics does not exist in halakha, and cannot therefore be determinative.

Lisa