[Avodah] kitniyot

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 6 04:16:49 PDT 2017

R' Akiva Miller asked:
"It seems to me that people are getting confused between kitniyos and
gebroks.

Let's talk for a moment about communities that did refrain from gebroks in
recent centuries. Does Rav Aviner think that they didn't use matza meal for
cake? Anyone who refrained from making such cake are the ones who refrained
from gebroks, right?

So what new problem has arisen with "farfel, bread sticks etc"? Whatever
arguments you have against them today existed 200 years ago also, and they
were rejected by communities that ate gebroks."

There is no question that this is a new problem, even 50 years ago no one
made things out of matzo meal or potato starch that looked almost exactly
like the equivalent chometz item. There has been an explosion of
"imitation" chometz products over the last 20 years that look and even
taste like chometz.

This is more a spirit of the law issue. One of the reasons given for not
eating kitniyos is that since kitniyos look like and/or can make things
that look like chometz we are afraid that people will confuse them with
chometz and come to eat chometz. This concern certainly applies much more
to these modern products. If I can get kosher l'pesach cereal that looks
exactly like chometz cereal there is certainly a risk of confusion. No one
is saying that these things are kitniyos, what they are saying that in the
spirit of kitniyos these should be prohibited.