[Avodah] kitnoyot

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Apr 5 03:51:14 PDT 2017

R' Eli Turkel wrote:

> I just went to a shiur from R Aviner who was more mekil on
> kitniyot products but felt that many of the foods that the OU
> gives a hechsher like farfel, bread sticks etc should be
> prohibited for the same reasons as kitniyot ie they can easily
> be mixed up with chametz.
>
> It seems the OU is more interested in literal kitniyot even if
> no longer makes sense and not all in products that have the
> same rationale as kitniyot but are not literally kiniyot.

I am both surprised and confused, by this post and almost all the ones that
followed.

It seems to me that people are getting confused between kitniyos and
gebroks.

Let's talk for a moment about communities that did refrain from gebroks in
recent centuries. Does Rav Aviner think that they didn't use matza meal for
cake? Anyone who refrained from making such cake are the ones who refrained
from gebroks, right?

So what new problem has arisen with "farfel, bread sticks etc"? Whatever
arguments you have against them today existed 200 years ago also, and they
were rejected by communities that ate gebroks.

I am not surprised that amei haaretz like myself have trouble understanding
the definitions of kitniyos. But one thing is for sure: That our rabanim
ought to understand that kitniyos and gebroks are two different things.

Some might respond that today's "farfel, bread sticks etc" are being made
not of matza meal but of potato and tapioca. I don't see that as relevant.
*ANY* definition of kitniyos has to be one that doesn't include matza meal.
And if matza meal is excluded, then you can't include potatoes merely
because they are so useful.

Akiva Miller

Virus-free.
www.avg.com