[Avodah] kitniyot

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 4 13:15:11 PDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 09:33:22PM +0300, Simon Montagu wrote:
: We change minhagim all the time, for good and/or bad reasons and halacha
: hasn't fallen apart yet. Why is this minhag different from all other
: minhagim that people are so set against any change?

Sorry if this will sound like circular reasoning, but it isn't because
of the time lag:

Minhagim that are *currently* treated very seriously can't be broken
*going forward* as readliy simply because of the psychological
/ experiential impact of bending or breaking something that is so
vehemently held.

Since my argument is about mimetics, halakhah-as-culture, you can't
necessarily get a textual / theory-based answer.