[Avodah] kitnoyot

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 4 09:45:51 PDT 2017

On 4/4/2017 6:58 PM, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 04/04/17 09:23, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
>>
>> It seems the OU is more interested in literal kitniyot even if no longer
>> makes sense and not all in products that have the same rationale as
>> kitniyot but are not literally kiniyot.
>>
>> To my mind it is difficult to prohibit canola oil and allow cereals and
>> bread sticks that look and sometimes even taste like the original.
>
> It's very simple: `al zeh gozru ve`al zeh lo gozru.  We have no
> authority to make up our own gezeros, but we are bound by those our
> predecessors made.

I was under the impression that gezeirot weren't something that could be
instituted after the Sanhedrin.  Even Rabbenu Gershom only instituted
his rules as chramim, rather than gezeirot.  And the minhag (not gezeira
by any stretch of the imagination) was made by local rabbis for local
conditions and local situations.  Conditions and situations change.

I realize that the reason we differentiate between d'Orayta and
d'Rabbanan law is because there's a meforash commandment of bal tosif.
But we can learn out from that on some level that we shouldn't be
jumbling up gezeirot and takkanot and cheramim and minhagim and siyagim
and treating them like they're all the same.

Lisa

---