[Avodah] The Halachic Adventures of the Potato

Joseph Kaplan via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 4 06:42:30 PDT 2017

"This doesn?t quite fit RZS?s request, but I heard a story from a friend who gave a shiur making essentially RZS?s claim.  An elderly gentleman from Morocco told him that in his (childhood) town no one ate potatoes on Pesah because they puff up when they cook.  Admittedly my story is third hand, and is not related to gezeiras kitniyos, but it is evidence that a community in Morocco forbade potatoes."

This has nothing to do with potatoes but I was talking to the wife of a Moroccan this morning and she said that he told her (third-hand again) that many Moroccan towns had their own minhagim. For example, in one town they didn't use sugar because it was stored in bags near grain. So it's certainly possibly true about potatoes as well.

Joseph