[Avodah] Shul Practices

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 3 13:47:47 PDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 01:15:37PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: What triggered the question was a shiur on yutorah where a pulpit
: rabbi mentioned that a visiting guest sfardi scholar asked in advance
: and was granted the right to read his own aliya. I was surprised and
: then thought of other situations that I had a similar reaction to.

Isn't there a problem that the second you let those who are able to lein
for themselves, you destroyed the minhag of leveling the playing field
with a baal qeri'ah?

Along thse lines, my father -- who certainly doesn't have to -- reads
the berachos from the card on the bimah. The whole procedure is built
around avoiding embarassing those less educated Jewishly. And today,
where so many who get aliyos may be newer baalei teshuvah who don't know
the berakhos by heart, shouldn't everyone read the berakhos, just the
way everyone has a shaliach do the reading?

Micha Berger             The same boiling water
micha at aishdas.org        that softens the potato, hardens the egg.
http://www.aishdas.org   It's not about the circumstance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but rather what you are made of.