[Avodah] Psak of a Musmach

Daniel Israel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 8 09:13:39 PDT 2017

The Maharat thread got me thinking about this, but it is a bit of a tangent, hence the new thread.

It seems common knowledge that if one relies on a psak from a musmach, then he (the Rav) is responsible for any errors, whereas when relying on the halachic guidance of a non-musmach, the listener is on his or her own.  Where does this idea come from altogether?  It is certainly not obvious to me that it should be the case, and I don’t recall that it is mentioned in the classical sources regarding smicha.

—
Daniel Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu