[Avodah] Lag Baomer in pre WWII Mir Yeshiva in Europe

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 22 07:47:37 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 06:02:36PM +0000, Prof Yitzchak Levine posted on
Areivim:
: Please see http://mrlitvak.blogspot.com/

I can understand a desire to reaffirm the authentic Litvisher derkeh.

But meanwhile, we have more learning than at any time in Litta's history,
and kids are still uninspiring and fleeing in horrendous numbers. How
often do people mention the RBSO? How much do we discuss or base decisions
on the kelalim gedolim baTorah (cf RBW's recent review of RJB's The Great
Principle of the Torah -- ve'ahvta lerei'akha kamokha, de'alakh sani,
eileh toledos ha'adam, shema Yisrael, tzadiq be'emunaso yichyeh, etc...)?

So, Lag baOmer may not be more than cheap sentimentality. But even
if I were to agree this was true, I would still argue that we are in
desperate need of sentimentality -- and will settle for the cheap kind
rather than letting the pursuit of perfection become excuses for less
emotional expression.

Micha Berger             Today is the 41st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Yesod: What is the ultimate measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     of self-control and reliability?