[Avodah] B'midbar

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat May 20 19:37:34 PDT 2017

Israel’s brithplace was b’midbar — in the wilderness.
It has been suggested that only the barren wilderness
could have produced the monotheistic faith. Man is
always in need of fulfillment and his promised land is
far away. He is always on the road to the actualization
of his dreams, seeking better things and yearning for a
fuller, fulfilling life. The wilderness is the symbol of man
searching for his destination. It is told that a Chassidic
Rebbe, impatient at the sad, mad state of the world
(sound familiar?) and overcome with longing for the
happiness of mankind, prayed to God: “If Thou cannot
redeem Thy people Israel, then at least redeem mankind!”

May we reach the promised land in our lifetime!
rw

“Ay me! sad hours seem long.”
William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet