[Avodah] Erev Shabbos Thoughts

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 19 09:16:28 PDT 2017

Two Faces of Love

Twice a day the Jew gives expression to one of the most potent forces
in social life — LOVE.  In the morning we plead for ahavah rabbah,
abundance of love, for in the morning we want love to expand and grow
throughout the day. In the evening, however, when darkness descends
upon us, we pray again for love, but not in quantitative terms. Instead we
plead for ahavat olam — enduring and eternal love. In the dark night love
does not grow; it deepens.

Two Philosophies of LIfe

Sarah advised her husband to cast out Ishmael, when she saw he was
“Miitzachaik” and she feared he would be an evil influence on his brother
“Yitzchok.” Interestingly, both “Miitzachaik” and “Yitzchok” have a common
root, meaning to laugh or to play. What is the disparity?

The difference is compelling: “Mitzachaik” is in the present tense and
“Yitzchok” is in the future tense. Sarah realized that Ismael’s philosophy of
life was all about the here and now, immediate gratification and getting as
much pleasure out of life with no concern about the future.

Conversely, she saw that Yitzchok’s philosophy of life was to live life spiritually,
delaying immediate gratification and living his life in a way that would provide genuine
happiness and enjoyment in the future.

The future depends on what we do in the present.
Mahatma Gandhi