[Avodah] Emor

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 9 05:44:07 PDT 2017

“And you shall count unto you from the morrow after the day of rest from the day
that you bring the omer of the wave-offering; seven complete weeks shall there be.”
(Vayikra 23:15)
The Rambam included the counting of the Omer as Mitzvah 161 in his Sefer Hamitzvot.
Those Rishonim who disagree, do count it as a mitzvah d’rabbanan and therefore, when
we conclude the counting each night we pray: “May the merciful One bring back to us the
Temple service to its place speedily in our days, Amen, selah.”
So the question has been asked why we do not say a “sheheheyanu” when we first count
the Omer on the second night of Pesach. The Rashba answers that according to most
Rishonim who disagree with the Rambam, the counting is connected intricately with
ktzirat ha’omer, harvesting the omer, ha’va-at ha’omer, the bringing of the omer and
hakravat ha’omer, the offering of the omer as a sacrifice (Vayikra 23:10&16). So since
these mitzvot are obviously inapplicable today it pains us to remember what we are
missing when we count the omer. Therefore, the rabbis say, we pronounce no
sheheheyanu which is said only when we experience joy.

When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.
Willie Nelson