[Avodah] candles and fire safety

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu May 4 07:53:37 PDT 2017

[From an Areivim discussion of how to be safe from house fires on
Friday night.... -micha]

On 03/05/17 18:26, Akiva Miller via Areivim wrote:
> When eating the evening seudah elsewhere than where you're sleeping,
> consider lighting at the seudah location, so that they won't be
> unattended.

My mitzvah is to light my own home, not someone else's. I know women
have the custom of saying a bracha when lighting in someone else's home,
but I'm not sure on what basis they do so. It seems to me they're
not fulfilling their own mitzvah but rather helping their hostess with
her mitzvah, just like helping someone else with his bedikas chametz.
In that case (as opposed to doing the whole thing as his agent) one is
supposed to hear his bracha, not make ones own, so why is this different?

Thus it seems to me that this falls into the category of minhagei nashim
which differ from how men would pasken were they asked, but the women
have their own traditions and are not asking. But I don't see a basis
for men, who don't have those traditions, to follow them. Yes, we are
required to follow "toras imecha", but it seems to me that this means
those things that women have traditionally taught their sons, not those
that they have traditionally only taught their daughters.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all