[Avodah] Yom Ha'atzmaut

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 2 04:48:09 PDT 2017

The story is told of the Chafetz Chayim, zt"l, that he asked one of his visitors who had come from a great distance,
"How are you?”  which in Yiddish is, "Vos makhst du," literally, "What do you do?" So in answer to this inquiry, the visitor replied,
"Thank God, I have a thriving business, I have no financial problems, I have a beautiful home with a swimming pool,” etc. etc.
The Chafetz Chayim repeated, "Vos makhst du?" and the visitor, a bit confused as to why the question was repeated, gave the same reply.
So for the third time, the same question was asked of the visitor, at which point the visitor looked at the saint and he said:
“I don’t understand why you asked me three times 'How I am.’  I told you that thank God, I have a thriving business, a lot of money, a beautiful home, etc.”
The Chafetz Chayim replied:  “You don’t understand. You told me what GOD is doing for YOU, but I asked, 'What are YOU doing?' I therefore repeat: 'Vos makhst du?'"

How does this apply to Israel Independence Day?  We know what Israel has done for US.
The question remains: What are we doing for Israel, and what are we doing for each other?
May we become “Independent" enough to help others who "depend" on us.