[Avodah] RSZA on kitniyot

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 7 00:29:56 PDT 2017

from halichot shlomo volume on Pesach p89 (pe-tet)
BTW the sefer contains 3 sections ; main, dvar halacha and orchot halacha.
I am assuming that all 3 are from RSZA or notes of students.

I will do my best in the translation but have added some of the notes in
Hebrew

RSZA says the minhag is not to use cottonseed oil on Pesach (mimetic - who
determines this minhag?)
He brings that the CA prohibited potatos !! but that this psak was never
accepted. because they can't be confused with wheat. He adda that PERHAPS
there is a reason to prohibit potato flour (serach kitniyot - based on
chiddishin of RSZA to Pesachim).
Certainly, cakes made from matza flour should certainly be prohibited (ie
even according to those that eat gebrochs) (yesh ladun behem - Pesachim 40b
- Rashi that when people are "mezalzel one should be machmir)

In the notes that this was what RSZA said in shiurim and when asked a
question responded that one should follow the family minhag. Nevetheless he
remarked several times that cakes with matzah flour that look like chametz
cakes that he didn't understand the heter when we go to lengths to avoid
things that might be confused with chametz

--
Eli Turkel