[Avodah] Food in the desert questions

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 6 01:32:52 PDT 2017

R' Micha Berger asked:
"In the mishkan, a mincha offering was brought.  other offerings too.  Some
: required flour and oil.  Where did they come from? "

I just saw a Tosafos in Menachos 45b that discusses the question of flour
in the midbar. Tosafos quotes Rashi as saying that they did not make the
shtei halechem in the midbar because all they had was man (so they had no
flour). Tosafos disagrees and says that they bought flour from merchants
(based on the Gemara Yoma 75b). I would assume that Tosafos would say the
same thing about oil. The Rambam in the Peirush Hamishnayos (Menachos 4:4)
agrees with Rashi that they had no flour in the midbar.

So to answer your question according to Rashi and the Rambam they had no
flour and therefore did not bring anything flour based. According to
Tpsafos they bought flour from merchants in the midbar.