[Avodah] kitnoyot

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 4 06:23:37 PDT 2017

from an OU bulletin

My grandparents, may they rest in peace, would be startled to discover that
I can purchase OUP kosher for Passover items such as breakfast cereals,
pizza, bread sticks, rolls, blintzes, waffles, pierogis and farfel.
OTOH the OU has many chumrot on what is kitniyot

I just went to a shiur from R Aviner who was more mekil on kitniyot
products but felt that many of the foods that the OU gives a hechsher like
farfel, bread sticks etc should be prohibited for the same reasons as
kitniyot ie they can easily be mixed up with chametz.

It seems the OU is more interested in literal kitniyot even if no longer
makes sense and not all in products that have the same rationale as
kitniyot but are not literally kiniyot.

To my mind it is difficult to prohibit canola oil and allow cereals and
bread sticks that look and sometimes even taste like the original.

--
Eli Turkel