[Avodah] Aruch HaShulchan and pouring wine at the Seder

Ben Bradley via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Apr 1 13:45:05 PDT 2017

The Aruch HaShulchan was not happy with the minhag that the baal haseder has his wine poured by someone else. He writes that it's a bit haughty to order his wife to pour for him and that in his city it was not the minhag.

Aside from the interestingly contemporary sound of his concern, it seems to me that the current widespread minhag is for everyone to pour for everyone else, which would avoid the concern of the ArHaSh.

1. Am I right that this is most people's practice?

2. If so is it a) based on the poskim, b) an old practice without formal endorsement, or c) a new-fangled sop to modernity?

Ben