[Avodah] Maharat

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 4 09:40:53 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 11:23:05PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: And yet, he DID write a six-volume work, in which it is difficult to
: find even a single page where he merely reports what other acharonim
: wrote. Rather, he frequently brings various opinions and tells us
: which one is the ikar, or tells us how to follow both, or some other
: expression of his personal opinion.

Turn to the title page. Or, look at the intro. We've discussed this in
the past. The MB self-describes as a book to help someone know what
has been said in the years since the standardization of the SA page.
Not halakhah lemaaseh.

I argued that the difference between the AhS and the MB was not that
one was a mimeticist and the other a textualist, but that the AhS was
out to justify accepted pesaq, and the other is a collection of texts,
a tool for the poseiq -- not pesaq.

The personal opinion is just that, advice, not hora'ah.

Or, other assumed you need to dismiss the MB's self-description as
reflecting the CC's anavah, and not to be taken at face value.

But then one has to explain the numerous stories of the CC personally
not following the MB's conclusion -- the size of his becher, his tzitzis
were tucked in, he supported the building a a community eiruv, etc...
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/textualism-mb>

(Something is broken on my blog right now. It may take a 3-4 refreshes
before getting anything but the AishDas "page not found" page.)

In any case, I do not think semichah is required for hora'ah in every
situation. Semichah today is recieving reshus to pasqen, which is
unnecessary if one's rebbe passed away or is otherwise unreachable.
And in practice, it's an easy way for someone to know that someone
else assessed R Ploni and is willing to put his name on approving
R Ploni answering questions.

(The Rabbanut semichah test system does not fit this model. I believe
this raises problems with the system, not pointing to a floaw in the
model.)

This is a tangent from the original question. Regardless of whether or
not one needs semichah to be a poseiq, can one give a woman a "heter
hora'ah lerabbim" -- as the big print in the Maharat semichah reads --
or is hora'ah simply not something she can do with out without her
rebbe's license?

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke