[Avodah] nidche

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed May 3 06:38:06 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:30 AM, saul newman via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> since these holidays are nidche in any year pesach doesnt start on thurs,
> does anyone know when this practice developed? was it encoded this way
> already in the 50's?

To be precise, they are only nidche if Pesah starts on Tuesday, like this
year. If it starts on Shabbat or Sunday they are brought forward to
Wednesday & Thursday. If my memory is accurate, the bringing forward has
always been in practice, but the postponement from Sunday-Monday to
Monday-Tuesday was introduced later, within the last 10 or 20 years. When I
was first in Israel in the 1980s, YHA was still sometimes observed on a
Monday.