[Avodah] Relying on the Avnei Nezer's Tenai for Afikoman

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 4 14:33:20 PDT 2017

At 02:01 PM 4/4/2017, Micha Berger wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 04, 2017 at 12:52:45PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via
>Avodah wrote:
>: There is a shiur about this at
>: http://tinyurl.com/lowndcz
>
>So, I am listening to R' Aryeh Lebowitz's shiur on YUTorah at this link.

<Snip>

>R' Avraham Pam said on many occations that we have to be aware of
>those who spent all that time making the seder. (Typically the wives
>and mothers.) Sometimes we spend so much time on Magid, that we then
>rush through the beautiful se'udah they made to get to the last kos on
>time. RAP thought that this bein adam lachaveiro issue is sufficient to
>justify relying on the Avnei Neizer.

Rav Schwab in his shiur on the seder (to be found in Rav Schwab on
Prayer)  suggests eating very little during the Seder besides the
required amounts of Matzah and Moror,  so that one will have room and
appetite for the Afikoman and not have to "force" oneself to eat
it.  I do not know what Rebbetzen Schwab prepared for the Seder
meal,  but I assume it was not an elaborate meal based on what she
knew Rav Schwab would eat.

I know that R. Miller would not allow his children or grandchildren
to read from the sheets that they came home with from Yeshiva.  He
told them to save it for later,  probably the next day.

And since I mentioned all of the material that the kids come home
with from school,  let me say that IMO the schools "spoil"  the
seder.  To me it is clear from the Gemara in Pesachim that the
children are not supposed to be "primed"  with all sorts of knowledge
about the Seder.  The things we do are supposed to be new to them so
that they will ask questions.  My children when they were young and
my younger grandchildren now know enough to conduct the Seder
themselves!  There is nothing new for them.

YL