[Avodah] Holy Smokes

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 19 11:14:29 PDT 2017

>From this week's emailing from The Halachah Center / Beis haVaad
leInyanei Mishpat
<http://www.thehalachacenter.org/journal-links/5777/vayikra/behar-bechukosai/holy-smokes.php>.

There are a number of halachic discussions about e-cig use -- whether
kashrus concerns apply, health issues, but then they close with this
interesting (to me) more aggadic point.

Note found interesting was that R' Yosef Greenwald assumes that
venishmartem me'od lenafshoseikhem isn't about preserving life, but
preserving one's ability to pull the ol mitzvos. (That sounds weird,
but an animal "pulls a yoke", no?) Which includes preserving life. And
thus includes intoxication and other mind- or mood-altering chemicals
that could hamper one's ability to function.

I could have seen argiong for each as separate values, but...

      Holy Smokes!
      A Halachic Discussion Regarding E-Cigarettes Are e-cigarettes
      problematic from a halachic standpoint?
      By: Rav Yosef Greenwald
      The Health Concerns of E-cigarettes
      1. Are E-Cigarettes Any Better than Cigarettes?
      2. Derech Eretz and a Life of Meaning

      Let us conclude with one more point about the general imperative
      to protect our health and its relevance to this case. Although as
      mentioned there is an injunction to safeguard our health based on
      v'nishmartem, we also have an assurance of shomer pesaim Hashem,
      that Hashem will protect those who engage in normal activities,
      as Rav Moshe explained, which is based on the Gemara (Yevamos 12b
      and elsewhere).[10] Consequently, eating greasy french fries,
      doughnuts, and the like, may not be the healthiest thing to
      do. However, doing so would not violate a halachic prohibition,
      as eating these foods is considered in the realm of normal behavior
      (like smoking used to be), and we can apply shomer pesa'im Hashem.

      There have recently been some questions asked about the kashrus on
      medical marijuana, due to the possibility that the recreational use
      of marijuana may be normalized soon. However, before discussing the
      kashrus questions, one must ask whether it is acceptable to consume
      marijuana. It would seem to be in the same category as significant
      alcohol consumption. Leaving aside any possible physical damage
      caused from overdosing, there is no specific halacha that forbids
      one from getting drunk, aside from being careful not to miss the
      proper time for Tefilla, and not issuing halachic rulings while
      in an inebriated state.[11] Nevertheless, it should be obvious
      that this is wrong, based on what could be called the "fifth
      section of the Shulchan Aruch," using common sense in living one's
      life. Clearly, Hashem does not want a person to waste away their
      life in a state in which one cannot serve Hashem properly. Rather,
      one should live life as an intelligent, sober person. One who
      overdoses on alcohol, or engages in mind-altering or mood- altering
      by ingesting marijuana, is taking away the ability to function as a
      normal person. This falls under the category of derech eretz, proper
      conduct, which precedes the observance of halacha. In other words,
      even if one does not directly violate the Shulchan Aruch, one must
      live in a manner in which the Torah and halacha can be fulfilled.

      To return to e-cigarettes, this notion of living healthy is an
      important reason why, even if it is concluded that they are 100%
      kosher even without certification, a non-smoker should not start
      using such a product. In the merit of being able to curb one's
      physical temptations, hopefully we as a people can merit to reaching
      great spiritual heights, and achieve the closeness to Hashem that
      He, and we, so desire.
      [11] Both of these issues are discussed in the Gemara (Eiruvin 64a)
      and are cited in the Shulchan Aruch.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Yesod: How does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507           promote harmony in life and relationships?