[Avodah] Carbonite

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 27 22:03:05 PDT 2017

I signed up for something called Carbonite, which uploads everything on
your computer to the Cloud where it might be possible to retrieve it all if
your  computer dies or is stolen.  The thing is, either I have way too much on
my  computer or my computer is way too old and slow, but anyway, Carbonite
started  uploading on Sunday afternoon and now, Thursday night, it is STILL
uploading.  It continuously shows what progress it has made, and it is
showing me that it has uploaded 43% of my computer.  I am no math whiz but  I
can figure out that if it took from Sunday to Thursday to upload 43% it is
not  going to reach 100% before Shabbos.

I asked the Carbonite tech person what happens if you turn off your
computer in the middle, and he said Carbonite will just continue where it left
off when you turn your computer back on.  Interestingly we had a test case  on
Monday when my neighborhood lost power for six hours.  When the power  came
back on, Carbonite did NOT resume where it had left off.  Instead, I  had
to call Carbonite and ended up being on the phone for an hour while they
told me to do this and that and then they did whatever and finally got
Carbonite  to resume its weary work.  So here is my question for the learned chevra
here on Avodah:

Can I just leave my computer on all Shabbos, in another room with the door
closed where I won't see it and it won't fashtair my Shabbos, and let
Carbonite  keep running and running?  (It looks like it will take a whole nother
week  to finish.)  Or should I sell my laptop to a goy and buy it back after
 Shabbos?  (That was a joke, for those of you in Rio Linda.)  Should I
turn it off and resign myself to talking to tech support again for another hour
 to get it working again after Shabbos?  Oy, siz shver tsu zein a  Yid!

Is leaving a laptop on all Shabbos with Carbonite uploading more like [A]
leaving your lights, fridge and air conditioning on all Shabbos  or [B]
leaving a TV or radio on -- dubiously muttar, definitely not  Shabbosdik or [C]
making your eved Canaani work for you all day Shabbos --  a no-no or [D]
giving your clothes to the Greek dressmaker to fix and telling  her you need
them some time next week, and if she for her own  convenience decides to do
the work on Shabbos, that's copacetic?

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..