[Avodah] Kitniyot

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Apr 4 12:22:32 PDT 2017

> The main reason for Ashekanzim to avoid qitniyos today is because if we
> start second-guessing minhagim in this day and age, the mimetic system will
> collapse and all of halakhah will fall apart.

We are not talking about eliminating Kitniyot laws but limiting them
My personal observation is that very few of my friends avoid lecithin and
many modern oils    RMF and others already allowed peanut oil and
cottonseed oil  and this is being expanded by many   I don't see this as
destroying a Mimetic tradition        the reason to include canola oil is
that it is similar to Kitniyot even though it or even corn oil did not
exist at the time of the generation

So the question is why extend the minhagim to canola oil when the problem
of the confusion doesn't exist but we don't extend it to non chametz cereal
or breadstick where the possibility of mistakes is greater
As previously mentioned rsza was against these chametz look a like products
as are several contemporary rabbis  OTOH the outside is nachman in lecithin
in candies where there are many reasons to be making and they are making in
chametz looking and tasting products where many are machmir