[Avodah] Elijah's cup

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Mar 31 07:05:24 PDT 2017

<<The great prophet Elijah was the first to reject categorically this
misguided custom.
He warned Elisha to return to his mother and father, indicating that his
devotion to
his parents would in no way interfere with assuming the mantle of
leadership.  On
the contrary, true liberation comes from a life that has struck deep roots
in a
closely-knit family environment, where there prevails a union of hearts
between
parents and children and where positive attitudes and good relationships are
fostered. >>

Thats not the way I read the story. I assumed that Elijah was telling
Elisha that if you wish
you don't have to take the job of Navi and stay with your parents. He is
criticizing Elisha
for wanting to say good bye as a true Navi cuts himself off from his family
and is lonely (which was Elijah's life).
Yes part of the above message is true but we learn that from Elisha and not
Elijah.

--
Eli Turkel