[Avodah] On the Lomdus of the OU Responsum

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Feb 26 13:06:47 PST 2017

At 02:28 PM 2/26/2017, R Eli Turkel wrote:

>RYL brought
>
><<he job that requires more fortitude and indeed aggressiveness fell to the
>man.>>
>
>The question is how far we go with this. I have seen a psak of Rav
>Zilberstein that women are not allowed to drive a car. Among his other
>reasoning is that driving a car is like going to war and women are not
>allowed to go to battle !!
>i.e. similar to the above that aggressive driving is a man's job.
>
>I wonder how many on this list really agree with this reasoning

WADR to Rabbi Zilberstein, whom I know nothing about,  it is time for
him to move into the second half of the 20th century (at least).  In
many cities outside of Brooklyn which do not have bus transportation
to take children to and from yeshiva, it is primarily the mothers who
drive the kids to and from school day in and day out.  And even in
Brooklyn women commonly drive to various stores to do shopping,  some
drive to work,  etc.  Aside from Satmar and perhaps a few other
similar chassidic groups,  Orthodox females in America drive cares.

I know of one Bais Yaakov type school in Far Rockaway (TAG) that
gives driver education classes.

Recall the Bais Yaakov teacher in EY who was fired because she got a
driver's license.  See http://tinyurl.com/h9ueg3u  To me it is
unfathomable that this happened.

This is just one of many examples of the fact that Orthodoxy in EY is
drastically different from Orthodoxy in the US,  and this is why I
have maintained that it is a huge mistake to ask rabbis in EY
halachic questions about situations in America.  Unless one lives
here,  one cannot be familiar with the milieu and evaluate things properly.

YL