[Avodah] Prayer for the Government

Saul Guberman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Jan 9 15:45:05 PST 2017

On Jan 9, 2017, at 5:45 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> But since the current iteration is a child of Chazal's, and Chazal
> saw the requirement in terms of needing some source of law-and-order,
> I would think that this common perception is simply in error.

> After all, we already noted R' Chanina segan hakohanim lived during
> Malkhus Edom, a/k/a Malkhus haRecha'ah when he said the words quoted in
> Avos 3:2.

I agree. I find that these sentiments for change coincide with the current
election cycle. I do not recall this happening for other Presidents
who were not good for our interests. I have called people out on both
sides about this. It reminds me of when Israel gave away Gaza. People
stopped saying the prayer for the medinah. Not that the medina does not
need prayers. They could not deal with the fact that they were praying
for officials that they hated. It is the hatred that comes through. The
smoke screen, legitimatization, is the excuses of Chanifah and malchut.

Saul