[Avodah] Tichleh Regel Min Hashuk

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jan 4 04:02:32 PST 2017

On 04/01/17 05:53, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I thank RZS and RMB for reminding me about the idea of the Tarmudaim.
> But what has been cited thus far is not really relevant to the question
> I brought. It doesn't matter whether "tarmudaim" are the sellers or the
> buyers, and it certainly doesn't matter what sort of merchandise is
> involved.

There's no dispute that they are the sellers, and that what they're
selling is firewood.  The only dispute is (a) are they Jews, and (b) is
the pirsumei nisa to them or to their customers.

> My point is that if the zman of Ner Chanukah is tied to commerce in any
> way at all, then if the pirsumei nisa is to Jews,

That's precisely why we were discussing the Tarmuda'im.  Your premise
that the pirsumei nisa is to Jews is very much in dispute.  The
straightforward reading of Rashi is that it's to the Tarmuda'im, who are
not Jews.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all