[Avodah] Shul Practices

Joshua Meisner via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 30 07:18:53 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 8:07 AM, Rich, Joel via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> Visiting a shul questions-actual practices and sources appreciated:
> • Would your shul allow a guest to read his own Aliya?

In a related situation, some years back I was once the ba'al kri'ah on rosh
chodesh and the first oleh (non-kohen) asked if he could read his own
aliyah, and I agreed.  I was then called up for sheni and read my own
aliyah.  At this point, the rav stood up and insisted that I step down and
that the next two olim also read their own aliyos so as not to directly
draw a distinction between those who read their own aliyah and those who do
not.  The source for this objection would appear to be Bikkurim 3:7.  I do
not know of any more explicit source for this hakpada, but it appears to be
a sound s'vara.

Addressing your question, I would additionally find it problematic for the
shul to allow a guest to read his own aliyah without the consent of the
regular ba'al kri'ah.

Josh