[Avodah] Is any meat today kosher?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Mar 22 01:36:38 PDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21:46AM +0200, Simon Montagu via Avodah wrote:
: No, I'm saying there are trei dinim in the Hebrew word "kashrut" -- the
: technical sense, equivalent to "kashrus", and a larger sense, equivalent to
: "right" (as in "let right be done").

But there is not issur cheftza created by tzaar baalei chayim. This isn't
a matter of kashrus or "kashrus".

BTW, that also doesn't fit the context. R' David Rosen is explicitly
trying to draw ZBC into the umbrella of kashrus, and not using "kosher"
in the sense of "appropriate". (As in the Boar's Head ad, "Something's
not kosher in the ham industry", followed by accusations about their
competitors' product.)

"Kashrut involves more than just the way the animal's throat is cut and the
hecking of its vital organs. Kashrut involves the whole relationship
etween humans and the animal world...."

But in any case, my real objection is, "from A to Y all injunctions and
prohibitions have been gnored and desecrated, how can that product really
be called kosher?"

The issur of the act does not impact the kashrus of the result.

We are allowed to eat fruit from a branch that a Jew grafted.