[Avodah] “Bikeish Yaakov leishev b’shalva.”

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 21 19:46:41 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 05:41:28PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: "Bikeish Yaakov leishev b'shalva." Yaakov wanted to sit in tranquility. Is
: the message of this medrasah that this is not a proper goal? Why then
: did Yaakov seek it?

Who doesn't?

Besides, before Yaaqov tried for shalvah, who was going to set the
example or illicit the medrash that teaches us that we can't have it all?

Yaaqov had more years of strife than his father or grandfather -- his
examples of successful avos. Is it so surprising that he could have
thought that at this point he paid his dues?

(Similarly the next post by RBW: How would David have known that counting
Jews is an eternal, as opposed to one specific to the dor hamidbar
without haaving Chazal discussing their own mistake?)

In short, many things are obvious in hindsight.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l