[Avodah] Is any meat today kosher?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 21 15:37:32 PDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 02:01:40PM +0200, Simon Montagu via Avodah wrote:
: http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/is-any-meat-today-kosher/
: Rabbi David Rosen...
: From the article:
:> Kashrut involves more than just the way the animal's throat is cut and the
:> checking of its vital organs. Kashrut involves the whole relationship
:> between humans and the animal world. Indeed our sages say specifically in
:> relation to shechitah that "the mitzvot were only given in order to refine
:> people" (Genesis Rabbah, 34; Leviticus Rabbah, 13.)

This isn't true. Tza'ar baalei chaim does not make an animal treif.

One may ask questions about whether buying meat and keeping the ZBC
industry lucrative is mesayei'ah, or at least something we should be
avoiding as a minhag chassidus. See IM 4:92:2
<http://issuu.com/silvergleam/docs/igrot_moshe_on_animal_cruelty/2?e=0>,
where RMF argues that it's tzaar baalei chaim to raise white veal. But
he does not assur the meat once shechted.

If it were true that the number of fatted ducks or geese for foie gras
or calves raised in boxes for their white veal who end up being tereifos
really is ignorable, there is no kashrus issue. And if many are tereifos,
then we have to wonder why those checking at the shlachthois aren't
rejecting them. Can we really limit to the usual rule of just checking
the lungs on beheimos when there is an iqa rei'usa for other problems? My
phrasing "if it were" tells you what I think (in short, I believe R/Dr
Tendler's research in the subject), but I do not see value in arguing
the metzi'us here.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l