[Avodah] Pesach - Lecithin does not render chocolate non-KLP for Ashkenasim

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 18:15:52 PDT 2017

On 20/03/17 19:41, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

> <<< Provided that it has a hechsher for Pesach.  Without one how do you
> know it doesn't contain a mashehu or beliah of chametz? >>>
>
> So what if it does? Is it any worse than milk that one purchased before
> Pesach?

1. Milk used to be a single product without additives. The only worry is
that something got inadvertently mixed in.  If milk has additives, or is
pasteurised or bottled on equipment that could easily be processing
chamets as well, then I would think one surely needs a hechsher lepesach.

2. Milk is bittul lach belach, which is not chozer vene'or.   I don't
know whether one can say the same for chocolate just because it *was*
lach when the bittul occurred.

> what you're describing sounds very much like a maamid, which would
> notbe batel.

It seems to me that an emulsifier is *obviously* a davar hamaamid, but I
wonder whether that rule applies to something that's batel in any mixture.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all