[Avodah] Yesodei HaTorah, Perek 6

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 10:44:18 PDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 09:35:26PM +0200, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
: The sixth chapter of Yesodei HaTorah in the Mishne Torah, erasing God's
: name, seems like such a minor topic compared to the other issues dealt
: with in that book: Prophecy, God's Unity, Moshe, etc. The sixth chapter
: could easily fit into the halachot dealing with writing a Seifer Torah.

The sequence, as per the list of mitzvos in the intro to Yesodei haTorah:
    1- To know there is a G-d
    2- Not to cross your mind that there is a G-d other than H'
    3- To Unify Him (leYachado -- the Rambam has a verb, so I do too)
    4- To Love Him
    5- To have Fear/Awe from Him
    6- To sanctify His name/reputation
    7- Not to desecrate His name/reputation
    8- Not to lose/destroy things that have His name on them
    9- To listen to a navi who speaks in His name
    10- Not to test him

You're asking about #8, but it seems to me that 6-8 make a logical
sequence, all of which are expressions of Ahavas and Yir'as Hashem
(4-5).