[Avodah] Pesach - Lecithin does not render chocolate non-KLP for Ashkenasim

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 19 20:38:05 PDT 2017

On 19/03/17 19:17, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:

> May I eat during Pesach, foods containing Kitniyos?
>
> Yes. For example, regular chocolate may be eaten during Pesach. Many
> mistakenly believe that regular chocolate may not be used on Pesach
> since it contains Lecithin.

Provided that it has a hechsher for Pesach.  Without one how do you know
it doesn't contain a mashehu or beliah of chametz? But an Ashkenazi
agency can't give it such a hechsher, because that would make it bittul
lechatchila.  So the only practical upshot is that if it has a Sefardi
hechsher for Pesach then Ashkenazim can eat it too.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all