[Avodah] Will Purim Be The Only Yom Tov Left Standing After Moshiach Comes? Let's Take a Closer Look

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 12 23:23:49 PDT 2017

On 3/12/2017 11:55 PM, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> At 03:33 PM 3/12/2017, Micha Berger wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 03:29:33PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
>> : And what are the messages of Purim that are so different from the
>> : other holidays. Are not all of our "special" days (and even our
>> : ordinary days) tied to HaShem's special connection to the Jewish
>> : people?
>>
>> Purim involves seeing the miracle in the ordinary.
>
> I do not believe that the Jews at the time of Purim saw the miracle as
> ordinary at all.  It was clear in the end that HaShem saved the Jews
> through the efforts of Esther and Mordechai.
>
> The megilla tells us  more than once about how Haman was defeated, and
> how Mordechai became second to the king.  I am sure that all Jews
> recognized these events as extraordinary and miraculous.

I'm sure they did not.  Consider the mefarshim on "ratzui l'rov echav".
Surely had they recognized the events as extraordinary and miraculous,
that "rov" would have been "kol".

Never underestimate the power of human denial.  There are still Jews
today, even Orthodox Jews, who refuse to see the extraordinary and
miraculous in Israel's victory in the Six Day War.

Lisa

---