[Avodah] Chometz: Less than a kezayis

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Mar 5 21:15:48 PST 2017

From: Akiva Miller via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>> Rav Shimon Eider (Halachos of  Pesach, page 72) quotes Rav Moshe
Feinstein
as saying the we do NOT have to  do bedikah on seforim (although "a volume
which may have been used around  chometz" should not be brought to the
table)....
.....Pesach cleaning will  drive anyone "crazy" (to use RMB's word above)
if he
doesn't plan for it  well, allowing sufficient time to do a proper job. If
one chooses (or his rav  instructs him) to follow the Chazon Ish, this will
include every single sefer  that might have chometz in it, and many other
parts of the house where other  poskim would say, "There's no kezayis here."
Don't blame the halacha when the  fault really lies with poor planning.<<

Akiva  Miller

Here is a practical suggestion for people with large numbers of seforim
(most people on Avodah), and for people who bring seforim to the table --
everyone here, I'm sure.  You do not have to wait until it is almost  Pesach to
get rid of your crumbs. You can do it all year  long.  My father always had
seforim on the table during Shabbos and weekday  meals, and he had a habit
of blowing on the pages and shaking every sefer before  putting it away.
When I once asked him why he did this, he explained that  he did it to keep
his seforim clean for Pesach.

My feeling is that such hanhaga also fulfills the mitzva of  remembering
yetzias Mitzra'im every day, "Lema'an tizkor es yom tzeischa  mei'eretz
Mitzra'im kol yemei chayecha."

--Toby  Katz
t613k at aol.com
..