[Avodah] Psak

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Mar 2 21:12:56 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 08:07:21AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
: Seeing a recent discussion of R' Bleich's thoughts on kula vs. chumrah as
: a poseik dovetails with an issue that came up at a shiur I recently gave
: on Prayer and OCD. The question was raised as to how one should relate
: to a poseik who one perceived as being on the OCD spectrum...

Staying on the first topic, trying to understand what RJDB meant...

I understood R' Bleich as talking about the meaninglessness of a poseiq
being a meiqil or a machmir, not qula vs chumerah.

But here, one can view the same thing two ways:

1- We could talk about the role of humanism in pesaq, that we have to
make allowances for the OCD-ness of the sho'el. Or...

2- We could consider the OCD-ness part of the metzi'us about which the
poseiq has to pasqen. This would then change the pro-vs-con balance in
a halachic evaluation that the poseiq thinks of as a clean-room analysis
of the halachic imperatives.

On one level, these are just two attitudes about doing the same thing. But
because pesaq is an art, not an algorithm, even that difference in
attitude may change the shiqul hada'as and the resulting pesaq.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             When memories exceed dreams,
micha at aishdas.org        The end is near.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - Rav Moshe Sherer
Fax: (270) 514-1507