[Avodah] On the Lomdus of the OU Responsum

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 27 05:53:51 PST 2017

At 08:39 AM 2/27/2017, Akiva Blum wrote:

>On Feb 27, 2017 12:09 AM, "Prof. Levine via
>Avodah" <<mailto:avodah at lists.aishdas.org>avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>

>WADR to Rabbi Zilberstein, whom I know nothing
>about,  it is time for him to move into the
>second half of the 20th century (at least).  In
>many cities outside of Brooklyn

>.
>
>This is just one of many examples of the fact
>that Orthodoxy in EY is drastically different
>from Orthodoxy in the US,  and this is why I
>have maintained that it is a huge mistake to ask
>rabbis in EY halachic questions about situations
>in America.  Unless one lives here,  one
>cannot be familiar with the milieu and evaluate things properly.
>

>I cannot see how you can resolve these two
>statements, as he lives on EY, and you and your examples are from the US.

I think you missed my point which is that one
should not ask rabbis living in EY questions about things in America.

On the other hand,  does it make sense to you
that a religious women should not drive a car in
EY?  Let me add to this. I have been told that
Rabbi Zilberstein's present wife, who is his
second wife,  does drive a car!  Now the question
is,  "How does Rabbi Zilberstein resolve this
with his statements about women driving?"

YL