[Avodah] Choice in mitzvot

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Feb 23 14:13:12 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 04:14:02PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: In any event there's no question that the chiyuv to redeem the son
: is unconditional, and if he'd really prefer to keep the money then
: it's his tough luck.

I would make a similar objection to yibum vs chalitzah. The only thing
that balances the scales is our sharing Abba Shaul's concern that today's
yavam is too likely to be more interested in the yevamah as nearly
"forbidden fruit" than with haqamas sheim. But clearly from the format
of yibum, the guy is villified for choosing it (back when we gave him
the choice).

Still, I have nothing to add toward answering the original question.