[Avodah] Canceling gzeiros

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Feb 23 14:09:54 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 05:15:33PM +0000, Moshe Zeldman via Avodah wrote:
: There's a Halacha that if the Beis Din enacts a ... gezeirah she'ein
: hatzibur yakhol laamod bo] ..., then they're obligated to cancel it
: (at least according to Tosafos in A"Z)...

I dont think they have to cancel it; AFAIK it never becomes a gezeira by
default. See Hilkhos Mamrim 2:6. Adding that to halakhah 7, and it seems
that an active bitul is only when the lack of acceptance is first found
later. As opposed to halakhah 6 -- where we know for sure the tzibbur
never took it on.

Two cases I can think of are stam shemen, a parallel to stam yeinam
passed in Daniel's day, and tevilas Ezra.

Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
micha at aishdas.org        or something in your life actually attracts more
http://www.aishdas.org   of the things that you appreciate and value into
Fax: (270) 514-1507      your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.