[Avodah] Chometz: Less than a kezayis

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Feb 21 23:14:53 PST 2017

On 21/02/17 07:45, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:

> It has been my understanding throughout whatever little bits of Torah
> that I've been privileged to learn, that if a kezayis of something is a
> shiur d'Oriasa for whatever halacha, then a partial kezayis would be a
> chetzi shiur d'Oraisa, or at least a d'rabanan, for that same halacha. I
> am surprised that chometz (which is generally so very severe!) is an
> exception to this, and becomes mutar when less than a kezayis. The
> reasoning does seem to be that a partial kezayis is not chashuv -- but
> can't that be said about ANY partial shiur? [sarcasm on:] A half-kezayis
> of chazir is not chashuv, so why not eat just a nibble? [sarcasm off]
> What makes chometz different?

Because for most issurim it doesn't matter whether something is chashuv.
  It's just as assur to eat a neveila's offal as it is to eat its filet
mignon.  The same is true of chametz, both for eating it and for owning
it; the point here is not that there's no issur in owning something that
isn't chashuv, but that something that isn't chashuv is automatically
batel and therefore *you don't own it*.  It's as if it doesn't exist.
There's not even any need to explicitly be mevatel it, because it's
batel by its very nature, unless you explicitly decided to keep it,
which is machshiv it.

Remember that mid'oraisa bittul of anything is enough to avoid the issur
of ownership.  Chazal said it's not enough, for two reasons: One might
find a nice roll on Pesach and think to keep it, thus cancelling its
bitul; and one might find chametz and absentmindedly eat it.  Neither of
these reasons applies to a dirty breadcrumb.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all