[Avodah] Chometz: Less than a kezayis

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 20 15:52:59 PST 2017

R' Zev Sero tried to answer my questions:

> Crumbs smaller than a kezayis are automatically batel, except
> "a nice rolls", which one would want to keep if one knew
> about it (e.g. a wrapped candy).
> There are two reasons why, midrabanan, bitul doesn't help:
> Lest one find a "nice roll", and lest one find chametz and
> absentmindedly eat it. These are obviously related; a dirty
> crumb that one would never think of eating is by definition
> not a "nice roll" that one would exclude from ones bitul.

I would think that "automatically batel" ("batel me'elav") and "nice roll"
("gluska yafeh") result from the condition of the chometz, such as it's
cleanliness and freshness. I have no idea why the size would be relevant.

We are told many times how very thorough the bedikah must be: Cracks and
crevices. Holes in a wall. And so on. These places have always led me to
believe that we must search for all chometz - even if it is small and even
if it is dirty. The only criterion is that it is raui l'achilas kelev.

R' Micha Berger noted that it's not only when an individual piece is more
than a kezayis, but

> Also, if the sum of crumbs in a single keli add up to more
> than a kezayis.

Source? I have heard similar things, but in my experience, this idea is
taken as axiomatic, and then used to prove some other point. I'm looking
for a source for this axiom. And ideally it would explain *why* the
violation is worse if the pieces of chometz are together, than if they are
scattered.

Note that what I'm actually looking for is a source that if the chometz is
less than a kezayis, then there's not even a d'rabanan of Bal Yiraeh.
However, if one can find a source about the relative severity of pieces
combining, that may lead towards my question.

Thanks!
Akiva Miller