[Avodah] Amah Ivriya

via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Feb 19 21:27:31 PST 2017

From: Akiva Miller via Avodah  <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>

>>  I have heard it said  (usually in the context of military service) that
the
Torah forbids a woman  to be under the control of anyone other than her
father or husband.

It  seems from the beginning of Mishpatim that Amah Ivriya is an exception
to  that rule. Or perhaps it's not an exception, but that the rule is
actually  "father, husband, or Adon," ..... <<

Akiva Miller

When a man buys an amah ivriya he has to marry her or give her to his son
as a wife, or let her go free.  The money he gave her father is equivalent
to kidushin, if I am understanding Rashi correctly.  Rashi says the adon
(or his son) does not say "Harei at mekudeshes li....." but instead says,
"Harei  at meyu'edes li you are designated for me as my wife bakesef shekibel
avich  bedamayich with the money that your father has received as your price."
  (Silbermann translation.)

--Toby Katz
t613k at aol.com
..