[Avodah] US karaites

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Feb 16 15:27:55 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 01:51:46PM -0800, saul newman wrote:
: i wonder, is there a  presumption that they are not jewish  ie  they would
: need giyur ?

They're the Rambam's case of tinoqos shenishbe'u that RMF uses to apply
the category to children born into non-O movements.

But there have been many years since. And there is no proof that the
Qaraim from the Crimea are relted to the ones from the Middle East.

Tradition has it that Hitler wanted to determine if Qaraim were part of
his "problem", the Nazis checked what we believed. The rabbis "invited" in
for a discussion included R' Meir Balaban. When asked, he said we do
not consider them Jewish. But later said he was lying for hatzalas
nefashos.

And those /were/ Crimean Qaraites!

Micha Berger             For those with faith there are no questions.
micha at aishdas.org        For those who lack faith there are no answers.
http://www.aishdas.org                     - Rav Yaakov of Radzimin
Fax: (270) 514-1507